I Tatti / Museo Nacional del Prado Joint Fellowship
This nine-month fellowship is dedicated to art historians working on projects that address the relationship between Spain and Italy.
Villa I Tatti – The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies in Florence, Italy, and the Museo Nacional del Prado in Madrid, Spain, offer a joint residential fellowship for the 2024-2025 academic year. Fellows will spend the fall term (mid-September to mid–December 2024) in Madrid, with the support of the Centro de Estudios Europa Hispánica (CEEH) and the spring term (January to June 2025) in Florence.
The fellowship is designed for early and mid-career scholars in the field of art history, with preference given to advanced research projects that address the relationship between Spain and Italy (including transnational connections and dialogues with Latin America) during the Renaissance, broadly understood historically to include the period from the 14th to the 17th century.
- At the time of application, scholars must have a PhD in hand and will be asked to upload a scan of the certificate.
- Applicants must be conversant in English and Spanish and have at least a reading knowledge of Italian, with a solid background in Italian and/or Spanish and Latin American studies.
- Each successful candidate must be approved by both the Museo Nacional del Prado and Villa I Tatti and will spend the fall term (mid-September to mid-December) at the Museo del Prado in Madrid supported by Centro de Estudios Europa Hispánica and the spring term (January-June) at Villa I Tatti in Florence.
- During both terms, it must be possible for Fellows to carry out most of their research with the resources available in the city where they are resident.
- Priority will be given to applicants with no previous association with either I Tatti or the Museo del Prado.
- Renewals, repeats, or deferments of this Fellowship are not granted.
- The Fellow will be expected to carry out original research on the topic for which they have been awarded their Fellowship.
How to apply
- Applications must be written in English and must be submitted electronically by midnight (Cambridge, MA time) on November 30, 2023.
- Scholars can apply to only one type of fellowship at I Tatti per academic year.